Here is another great article in the line of “1000 True fans” that we wrote about previously. Click here for Part I to see why we find it’s so important for today’s musicians to develope a hardcore fan base.
In this next article from our friends over at MUSIC THINK TANK, Simon Tam points out 5 tips about how to create such an army of energized fans: Here are his suggestions:
- Over-deliver: Get to know your fans intimately and always “under-promise and over-deliver”.
- Get Creative: Find new ways to bring them closer. There are no rules here… depending on who you are and who your fans are, what you can give them or what will get them excited, are very different. Eg: If you’re trying to build your email list (because email is still the No #1 way to get in contact with fans), you could give them something in return. Depending on your fan base, this could be a digital single, album, live recording, a button, special concert, meet and greet etc.
- Find out who the “trendsetters” are in your scene – blogs, individuals, guitar gurus, artists, music shops etc – and build relationships with them.
- Consistency: Repeat repeat repeat. Make it part of your life style, not just a once-off event.
- When writing, tweeting, posting, visualize the fan and write as if you are speaking directly to him.