Tips for looking good on stage*
By Fita Morales (Revista Don)
*Saying that everyone can dress as they like.
Like every visual art, music performances are something enjoyed not just with the ears but also with the eyes. Concerts require their own special settings, just like weddings and communions do. So, take your stage image seriously and spend some time and effort deciding how you want your audience to see you. Feeling bewildered? Here are ten simple tips that help you achieve a stage wardrobe without resorting to a stylist.
1. Don’t step out on stage and play in your normal street clothes that can be seen by anyone you meet. When people have paid money to see you they deserve something special!
2. Whatever your musical genre, surprise, seduce and make an impact! Regardless of whether you’re good or not, a fabulous look always works in your favour and predisposes audiences to like you.
3. Research your look. There are millions of bands in the world, many of them making the same music as you. A powerful look acts as a differentiating element. Stand out from others with your appearance.
4. Invent a look. This is the most effective way but also more difficult. The Ramones, for example, invented their look: leather jackets, XS shirts, torn jeans and freaky sneakers. And there is no one bigger than the Ramones!
5. Dive into YouTube until your eyes are watering. All and more of the history of music is covered on YouTube, waiting to inspire you.
6. Fabulous dressing doesn’t have to come at a high cost. There are more and more second-hand stores, charity shops run by groups such as the Salvation Army, flea markets, Chinese stores, eBay, to name a few.
7. Banish your prejudices! No matter how outrageous an outfit looks to you, remember it’s going to be seen on stage. When in doubt, think of Lady Gaga.
8. A uniform look is a good solution. If all members of the group wear the same clothes it creates a good visual impact. The Beatles’ outfits spring to mind, while the Neanderthals dress as troglodytes, the Mighty Caesars wear Roman togas and Novedades Carminha often appears on stage wearing work clothes. Oh, and as shown by ZZ Top, it’s not just clothing that creates a uniform style.
9. Disguise yourself. Would Angus Young have been as big if his sister hadn’t told him one day to play on stage dressed in school uniform? Just think of that …
10. Avoid clichés. Or work around them. Few people are more punk than Nick Cave but he dresses in a suit. Dare to break with convention!
AN EXTRA TIP: Avoid jackets (Chris Martin has done them with Coldplay) and top hats (we’ve seen enough with Slash)!
Subscribe to our newsletter to make sure you never miss our blog posts!
In this post, we’ll walk you through setting up your Apple Music for Artists profile and take a look at some of its key features.
We’ll share three tested release strategies our Artist & Label Relations Managers use to successfully release new music in today’s market.
Our Four Recommended Digital Audio Workstations for Beginners by Brandon Miller “It is best to use a simple and easy to manage DAW to learn and develop one’s skills before…
You feel as if you’re doing everything right and are convinced that you’re producing quality music but you’re not being as successful in your music career as you’d like.